I decided to bake for my husbands birthday a few weeks ago. And when I bake, the cats, dogs and even my husband hides. I wanted to make a Rainbow Cake that I saw in the CelebrityBakeStars section of GoodHousekeeping mag. What most recipes don’t tell you is…How not to stuff it up. So I will make sure yours is a success. Also, if you are new at this…set 4 hours aside. it’s a fantastic conversation starter, and a Look-what-I-can-do-MOM recipe! Also, It’s my birthday on the 15th of August ( just saying…:) and you have a fabulous chance to win a cake from our friends who create them professionally! My cake: Ingredients (For the cake)
- 450 g unsalted butter ( Don’t melt it in the microwave like I did. Keep it room temperature)
- 450 g caster sugar
- 450 g self-raising flour
- 8 eggs
- 2 tps vanilla essence
- Food colouring in pink, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple ( use strong colouring- – the gel ones – but only use a drop or two, otherwise the colours go funny..)
For the icing … Now, In Magazine-land they used 450 g of icing sugar. I am clearly not good at mixing it and I had to make 3 batches. So….buy enough before icing the cake!
- 230 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 tbsp milk
- 450 g icing sugar ….( remember what I said)
Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray three 20cm round cake tins with cooking spray for two batches. If you use two cake tins, you’ll need to bake in three batches.
2. Cream the butter and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy.
3. Lightly beat the eggs. Pour slowly into the butter and caster sugar mixture. Add 1tbsp sifted flour to prevent the mixture from curdling.
4. Use a metal spoon to fold in the rest of the flour. The mixture should drop off the spoon easily when it’s ready. Add 1 tbsp water if too thick. ( I added too much water…it still worked, but do as the recipe says)
5. Divide into 6 bowls. Add colouring to one bowl until you get the desired shade.
6. Pour the batter into a pan. Cook for 12 minutes or until askewer comes out clean. Repeat with all the colours.
7. Remove cakes from the oven and cool on wire racks.
8. To make the icing, beat butter and icing sugar together until pale, then add milk and beat until combined.
9. Place purple layer on a plate, spread with icing. Place blue layer on top and spread with icing. Repeat with the remaining colours. 1
0. Ice the outside of the cake. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until set. ( I left mine outside, It still set, but it’s winter
Pintrest messed it up for most of us. Our cakes will never look like this…but you can try:
So…..Since it’s my Birthday Month I want to give you the chance to win a stunning cake made by The Fabulous Baker Girls. It’s a 20cm vanilla sponge cake covered with their delicious vanilla butter icing and fondant. The best part though is that they have made this cake into a pair of one of my favourite shoes(see pic of last years cake below). If your birthday is in August,send me an email at info@Elanaafrika.com with the subject heading cake before the 21st of August and you stand a chance of winning a similar cake to the one below!